How to fix common problems with the Elite Dangerous launcher
Updated: Thursday 16th November 2017
If you've encountered a problem that is preventing the launcher from starting, or the launcher crashes shortly after you try to load it, please follow the steps below.
Note: If you are having issues downloading games using the launcher, please see this FAQ article for details on how to solve download problems with the Elite Dangerous launcher.
Restart your computer Restart your PC fully and then run the launcher again, making sure you're not launching the game as an administrator.
Reinstall the launcher If the launcher refuses to function correctly it may be caused by potential file errors or installation problems by removing and re-installing the launcher.
- Uninstall the launcher from your computer using Programs and Features in Windows (or Steam).
- Delete any files from where the launcher was installed. If the following folders exist, delete them:
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Frontier\EDLaunch
- Restart your computer
- Re-download the launcher from EliteDangerous.com (or via Steam, if you use Steam).
- Install the launcher as normal (do not run the installer as an administrator - it will ask for an administrator password automatically, if necessary)
- Some players find that installing the game to a custom location is beneficial, for example: C:\Games\EliteDangerous
- Use the launcher as normal to install Elite Dangerous.
Repair/reinstall Microsoft .NET If the launcher is unable to run, or is encountering regular errors preventing it from working normally, you may need to re-install Microsoft .NET. TechHit have created a complete and handy guide on how to reinstall and repair .NET on Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10: https://www.techhit.com/how-to/install-.net-3.5.1/
Check for 3rd party monitoring programs In some cases, third-party programs may prevent the Elite Dangerous launcher from working normally. Likely programs that cause this are third-party hardware monitors, graphics card companion programs, or programs that provide overlays such as EVGA Precision, Raptr, Lucid Virtu MVP, MSI Afterburner, Nvidia GeForce Experience or AMD Gaming Evolved. Please disable programs like these prior to starting the Elite Dangerous launcher. You can also perform a clean boot in Windows to prevent these programs starting at all.
Check Windows for corrupted files In some cases, Windows may have become damaged which can stop the launcher and other programs from behaving normally. Windows has a self-repair tool called SFC to help repair itself. You can find out how to run this tool here: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/929833
We hope that the above steps have solved any issues you're having with the launcher. However, if you are still encountering problems when loading the launcher that are not helped by the steps or articles linked above then you may wish to get in touch with the support team who will be able to help further. Please create a DxDiag file of your computer and then click Contact Us at the top of this page to create a ticket.
Please wait... it will take a second!